Monday, October 6, 2008

Wyoming's proposed constitutional amendments

There are two state constitutional amendments up for consideration on the ballot in November. It is nice to know the reasons behind the proposed amendments, or at least have some inkling of what is being changed before stepping into the voting booth. Informed decisions, what a concept. Here are the two amendments and the gist of what is to be changed if they are voted upon favorably.

Proposed Constitutional Amendment A
The adoption of this amendment would clarify and modernize the oath of office taken by all elected and appointed officials of whom the oath is required. the new oath will be "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support, obey and defend the constitution of the United states, and the constitution of the State of wyoming, that I have not knowingly violated any law related to my election or appointment, or caused it to be done by others, and that I will discharge the duties of my office with fidelity."

The oath in it's current state is more specific in what it constitutes as "violating the law", stating "I have not paid or contributed, or promised to pay or contribute, directly or indirectly, any money or valuable thing, to procure my nomination or election, except for necessesary and proper expenses allowed by law." In other words, I didn't lie, cheat or steal to win my postition. I dunno, it seems using the phrase "knowingly violated any law" leaves a wide open gap for someone to say "Gee, I didn't know I was breaking the law when I gave a considerable donation to such-and-such a group for their support". Sounds like the setup for a loophole to me.
Here is the full text in .pdf form.

Proposed Constitutional Amendment B
The passage of this amendment would change the requirement for petition signatures for an initiative or referendum. Currently a petition must be signed by at least fifteen percent (15%) of the quilified voters in at least two-thirds of the counties, as determined by those who voted in the last general election. This amendment would change the requirement to at least fifteen percent (15%) of the qualified voters in at least two-thirds of the senate districts, as determined by those who voted in the last general election.

O.K., pop quiz. How many citizen-activated initiatives have made it to a Wyoming ballot since 1996? The answer? None. Wyoming already has one of the most stringent requirements to put an initiative or referendum (I&R) on the ballot in the first place. With this amendment, instead of needing 15% of the signatures of registered voters in 16 of our 23 counties, the amendment would require 15% of registered voter signatures in 20 out of our 30 senate districts. This difficultly level in getting placed on a ballot is a two-headed beast. We don't need to see frivolous I&R's on the ballot, true. But it shouldn't be near impossible to get to vote on initiatives that address the concerns of Wyoming citizens. Statistically, getting any type of I&R on the ballot under this new proposal would be harder.
Here is the full text of Amendment B in .pdf form.

To amend, or not to amend, that is the question. It's our choice, folks.

No comments: